Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Prayer and Perseverance

Prayer and Perseverance

My husband lost about 140 pounds 7 years ago, has run a marathon, and has changed his eating patterns.  He has never broken a bone, has never been in the hospital (other than being born), and has never had a medical exam, other than periodic physicals and blood work.  Until now.  

My husband started having back pain about 1 1/2 months ago.  He tried massage therapy, but continued to feel a constant pain.  Then, his stomach started to hurt.  After an intense day of pain, he went to the doctor.  

I am thinking hernia, gallstones, ulcer... After an ultrasound is done, the phone rings later in the day.  

You have an enlarged liver and we need to do more tests.  

My heart broke, and I sobbed.  That is scary and frightening to me.  My husband remained calm.   That is who he is - calm, reflective, and accepting.  While, I on the other-hand, fell apart.  I am so sorry ... I cannot keep it together.  My husband is one of my loves, and I don't want to see him suffer or be in pain.

So, for those of you that have listened and talked and encouraged, cried with us, gave a hug, lent a helping hand, and are praying.  Thank you.  Please continue.  We are still waiting for test results, but my husband's overall pain has decreased greatly (without medication).  We are living life and appreciating it.  

God is answering your prayers, so thank you for lifting him up.  God is good.  All the time.  God is with us and with you too.

------------

My husband wrote in his own blog:
People have asked what they can do for me (us) already.  Again - I'm not incapacitated.  If I need help, I won't be afraid to ask.  But if you are reading this, friends, and you pray, please pray....

That [my family is] comforted.  That we and the doctors can make the right decisions, and that I can be used to show the glory of God, even through pain, and hardship.  That I make it less about me, and more about others.

------------

Reflection Verse: "And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope" (Romans 5:2-4 NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment