Thursday, December 19, 2013

Read the Brochure

Read the Brochure

We have received A LOT of paperwork over the past 2 weeks.  Words, words, and more words.  My husband has to fill out forms and sign papers for every test, procedure, and copay every time something is done.  Some of the forms are the same as we go from doctor to doctor and similar checklists are gone through.  I think we have them memorized ...  the answers usually are no, no, no, no, no, no, no, yes, iron, no, no, no, no, Monday.

I, myself, have been trying to read up on insurance info, emailing people with updates and needs, and trying to get copies of reports.  We decided that we need an expandable file folder to carry around with us.

My husband is experiencing tests and procedures that are completely new to us, and we are learning a lot.  He is getting a Mediport tomorrow.  It is an interesting little device that is implanted under the skin of his chest and connected to a vein for infusions, transfusions, and to draw blood.  It allows for ease of access, and he won't need to be poked with IVs and needles every time he needs something done.  What an interesting little piece of technology!

There are little brochures that come with the Mediport.  And, yes, I did read them.  I like to read the directions for things (like the vacuum cleaner, the dishwasher, car seats, etc.), which I know is not the norm for many people.  The brochures talked about how he will have to carry a card with him, to show what kind of Mediport he has implanted.  This information is for the doctors and nurses that access it.  The brochures also said he might set off metal detectors.  That brought a little smile to my face.  I pictured ourselves going to an airport and testing this out to see if it would happen.  (I have only flown on an airplane when I married Wayne, so we don't frequent airports.)   I can picture him getting scanned with the security wand and setting it off.  Good thing I read the brochure and know we should carry the card.

While all this reading is just knowledge/information, it is my hope that I also gain wisdom in these experiences.  

Please pray for the doctors preforming this surgery, the implementation of it, and for the care of this "gadget" as time goes on.

Reflection Verse:


-and he has filled him with the Spirit of God, with wisdom, with understanding, with knowledge and with all kinds of skills— Exodus 35:31 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment