Friday, April 25, 2014

Marching Band Trip

Marching Band Trip

Today is the day the high school students go on a Marching Band trip.  I think of the empty bus seat; the empty hotel bed; the sense that someone is missing from the group.

I think of the months (a year) of planning, excited conversations between directors and between students, preparations and rehearsals; feeling motivated to produce high quality music for others as a team.  Bonding and making new memories.

I always missed Wayne when he went on these trips, wishing I could come along; thinking ahead to the band trips our son would eventually be able to go on with Dadda, and the fun they would have together.  Wayne would come home and share fun stories, bring souvenirs, and make plans to go back and visit the destination as a family some day.

I recall when the other band director talked at the funeral about the conversations he and Wayne would have on these trips, and just how nice it can be to talk about music and share that passion.

That passion for music, drove Wayne to model to his students, how to strive for a level of a superior quality of music.  My husband's main job was teaching elementary band, starting students on their musical journey, but he enjoyed working with all levels.  He could see the growth of students as they progressed to the High School.  He was so incredibly proud of them and the musicians they were becoming.  I know that he wanted them to continue to love and play music, even when out of High School.

His passion is also why he continued to be active in community band groups.  He just loved to play and sing.  Music was not just a career, it was part of who he was.  I think it is special when your job is something that is your passion, your gift, your hobby, and part of who you are; something that you can be thankful for every day.  I am sure he is playing and singing in the the best band and chorus of all now; one that surpasses even our own musical understanding here on earth.  It must be absolutely glorious, beautiful, and uplifting; always.

God is passionate about us.  He loves every single one of us.  He loves us so much, that he sacrificed Jesus for us, so that we can be with him basking in that love, in eternity.  We need to open our hearts and know that truth, accepting Jesus into our hearts.  God gave each of us a gift, something to be passionate about here on earth.  Share it, use it, and if you are unsure of what your gift is -  pray and trust, and God will bring it to light.

Reflection Verses:

The Lord is my strength and my song; he has given me victory.  This is my God, and I will praise him—my father’s God, and I will exalt him!  Exodus 15:2  (NLT)

God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another.  1 Peter 4:10 (NLT)


No comments:

Post a Comment