Monday, March 3, 2014

Not a Cookie Cutter Situation

Not a Cookie Cutter Situation

Out of the past 9 days, we have been in the hospital for 8 of them.

The day after we returned from Florida, my husband was in extreme pain.  His stomach had the bloated appearance of a woman that was 9 months pregnant.  We thought he had to "go" and that there was a potential blockage.  So, into the Emergency Room we went, where they used a lot of pain medicine, and put him on oxygen as well.  After tests and scans, we found that there was excessive fluid built up around the liver, in the abdomen, but no blockage.  The doctors performed a procedure that drained 11 liters from his abdomen ... and no, that is not a typo, that is like 5 and 1/2 bottles of soda.  This type of fluid is typically heavier, and we found out it was about 24 pounds of weight.

We also found out during this time that the cancer had grown, and therefore my husband would be starting a new chemotherapy regimen.  My husband was discharged from the hospital, after being observed overnight, and then he went to chemotherapy the next day.  My husband went into the chemotherapy regimen a little "dry", but not dehydrated.  The hospital did not want to reintroduce IV fluids because they would likely go right back to the abdomen.  He simply needed to drink fluids.  He was also continuing with some new pain medication.

So, with the new chemo, some new, and some of the same, types of side effects occurred.  Wayne experienced the typical type of nausea the next day, but on Friday however, I awoke to a husband that could not keep anything down.  He couldn't even get medicine into his mouth.  So, after a call to the on-call doctor, we were concerned that Wayne was dehydrated.  Off to the ER we went again.

We got right into an ER room.  However, Wayne became increasingly disoriented and lethargic.  He was slow to respond, if at all, to questions.  He knew I was his wife, but it took a long moment for him to say what my name was.  He kept tugging at his robe and cords, and would experience short bursts of alertness, where he would try to leave the bed/room.  I found I had to speak simply to him to get him to sit or lay down, and that I had to say his name first, before I could even get him to focus on me.  His behavior was highly unusual.

Colon cancer does not usually spread to the brain, but there is a chance, so the doctors said that he would need an MRI.  The nurse thought to check his ammonia levels, and they took the pain patch off (a strong dose), as well.  Ammonia levels were high, and my husband couldn't tolerate the MRI because he reacted strangely to the sedative, so they did a CT head scan test instead (which came back negative).  The final conclusion was that the trifecta of dehydration, increased ammonia levels, and pain medication caused him to have hallucinations and confusion.  It had been scary to watch.

Once his system cleared and was rehydrated, Wayne was back to himself.  Even the hospital staff noticed the huge improvement.  Doctors visited with us, and plans for care are updated, and we will continue on with the new chemotherapy regimen.  We are praising God for the resilience of Wayne's mental and physical body.

Because of the rehydration and fluid build up, my husband's abdomen is once again full.  It is our hope that the new chemotherapy regimen will address this, but he will need more drainage in the meantime.  So, the decision was made to put in an abdominal drainage tube, and it is the newest version of this technology. (They "only" took out 5.4 liters this time when they put the tube in.)  This drainage tube is something that I will be able to help my husband drain, and I have been trained to do so.  It is my honor to be able to also help care for him in this way, and I hope he knows that without a doubt, I do not mind doing it.

There are standard things to do when treating any kind of patient, but this is still an unknown journey...  this is not a "cookie cutter situation", where we know what to expect.  God knows though, and we pray for His guidance in all things.  He made each of us for a unique purpose, and we each have a unique plan.   My husband's experience and journey may be different than others, however we can connect in our commonalities too.  Each day is a gift, and this journey makes that even more apparent.  We have had many visitors, joy filled conversations, and time together, and we have been so abundantly blessed during our time in the hospital.

We are looking forward to resting and recuperating now that we are back home.   Maybe I will even make some cookies ... without the cookie cutters, of course.

Reflection verses:

But the Lord’s plans stand firm forever; his intentions can never be shaken.. (Psalm 33:11 NLT)


“I know that you can do all things; no purpose of yours can be thwarted. (Job 42:2 NIV)

1 comment:

  1. I have prayed this more than once for Wayne and you.

    Pray This - Be Still and Know

    BE - God, I say 'yes' to You. I choose to allow Your way to shape me and Your will to direct me in what is best. I surrender instead of resist, I yield instead of fight, I believe instead of doubt.

    STILL - Father, may Your rest abide and Your peace abound within me. Quiet all anxiety that troubles my thoughts and unsettles my emotions. I bring my soul under the control of the Holy Spirit; I stand steady upon the unmovable foundations of Your kingdom; I receive the sufficiency of Your grace and the encouragement of Your promises as you calm my soul.

    AND KNOW - Lord, thank you that Your word is sure, unchanging, and indisputable. Your word is true. I am certain. You have saved me from guessing, wondering, wishing, or pretending. I know! I believe!

    I AM GOD - You are who You say You are. You do what You say You do. There is no other! You are the highest, the greatest, the best. You have no weakness, no lack, and no equal. You are my God, and my Heavenly Father. I find comfort in Your nearness, security in Your voice, courage in Your strength, hope in Your promises. You are enough. More than enough! You are with me. You are my refuge. I am safe in Your care.

    Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth! The Lord of hosts is with us; The God of Jacob is our refuge. Psalm 46:10-11

    -Devotional prayer by Roy Lessin, from his blog Meet Me In The Meadow.

    ReplyDelete