Thursday, March 6, 2014

Just Rest

Just Rest

My husband is very weak after his 8 days in the hospital.  His legs are swollen; his voice quiet; coughing; pain.  It tires him to walk to the kitchen or to the bathroom.  He is incredibly thin.  We are looking into ways to help him regain strength for when the next chemotherapy session comes; he wants to work; he wants to resume normal every day activities.

Wayne perseveres and endures.  He inspires me.  His mind and his Faith are strong.
If we have a visitor, he sits up and talks, even though his voice is still weak.  He loves to talk about God, music, drum corps, and every day stuff.  He talks about this experience too.  

Wayne reads his devotional, listens to music, and watches reruns of favorite shows.  Sometimes the pain swells, and so he rests.  I "hover" nearby waiting to help.  Writing and composing seem to tire him out, so he only does a little at a time.  Rest is necessary, and it can help one become stronger.

Often, we need rest and respite in life.  It is necessary in order to rejuvenate; to focus again; to regain strength.  I would say that this is true for me as well as a caregiver.  When my husband sleeps, sometimes I too, sit and rest for a moment. In these moments, I find that I can appreciate the blessings of the day, including these moments of quiet rest.

I pray that you too, when life gets busy, and you are going from place to place, to just take a pause, and to appreciate that moment.  Pause, reflect, and thank God for the many blessings around you.  Notice them; cherish them.

Reflection Verses:

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.  2 Corinthians 12:9 NIV


By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work.  Genesis 2:2 NIV


The Lord replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”  Exodus 33:14 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment