Monday, February 3, 2014

Unavoidable Stress

Unavoidable Stress

There are types of stress that I can avoid through the choices I make.  Usually this can be done with a perspective shift through prayer, conversations, and coping strategies.  However, there are certain things that are truly unavoidable in my life, that will happen regardless of my choices.

Work evaluations: I know it is coming; it is an unavoidable and necessary part of my job.  Much prep is required and I show my work quality to the best of my ability.

Weather Forecasts of Bad Storms: You know it is coming; it is unavoidable.  You prepare with milk, water, portable heaters, and candles.

Going to the Dentist:  I have to go because tooth health is more important than one may realize; it hurts my mouth; and I have crunchy toothpaste stuck in between my teeth afterwards.  I prepare with extra flossing and brushing weeks before.  I take a Tylenol before going.

Chemotherapy Weeks:  I know the chemo is coming, along with the nausea, the vomiting, the no eating, and the pain too.  And, I am only witnessing it, not bearing it.  I start to count down to chemo days.  It looms like a dark cloud on the horizon.  I find myself trying to get as much work done ahead of time - laundry, dishes, groceries, job responsibilities, and mental preparation for what I know we will see my husband battle through.  I prepare with prayer.

Yes, I know each day is a gift.  Even the dark and cloudy days of unavoidable stress like chemotherapy weeks have light in them.  Prayers shared, kind nurses, helpfulness, friends that check in, friends that sit with my husband so that I can rest, and evidence of increased perseverance.

The great thing about unavoidable stress is that on the other side comes the relief; the joy; the normals; the return of smiles and togetherness.  I find that we need time to reconnect as a family after the chemo is done each time - whether it is playing a video game, snuggles, or just talking about things -  things that are not about cancer.  We need this stress relief, ways to cope after the stress, time together, and rest.

What joy and relief Jesus must have felt, after the unavoidable stress and pain of hanging on the cross, when He was once again reunited with his Father.

Reflection Verses:


I cried out, “I am slipping!” but your unfailing love, O Lord, supported me.
19 When doubts filled my mind, 
your comfort gave me renewed hope and cheer.  Psalm 94:18-19  NLT

“But now, for a brief moment, the Lord our God has been gracious in leaving us a remnant and giving us a firm place in his sanctuary, and so our God gives light to our eyes and a little relief in our bondage.  Ezra 9:8 NIV

“You have said so,” Jesus replied. “But I say to all of you: From now on you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.”  Matthew 26:64 NIV






No comments:

Post a Comment