Friday, January 3, 2014

Warmth

Warmth

And so begins the winter chill of a cold neck and cold toes.  One of the chemotherapy regimens my husband is on has the side effect of cold intolerance.  An intolerance, where supposedly you cannot even stick your hand into the refrigerator.    So far, he has NOT experienced that side effect, in fact ... he has been warm or just comfortable.  Although, he does use a heating pad on his back to help with back pain, but often his socks are off!

We keep the heat low in the house (62 degrees during the day) and despite my efforts to bundle up, my neck and feet continue to be cold.  My neck sends shivers down my back, and my toes are like ice as I try to tuck them in a blanket, and then into the crack of the couch cushions.  Blankets are piled on the bed, and I wear multiple layers of tops, a scarf, 2 pairs of socks, and slippers.  Hot tea or coffee is carried with me throughout the house.

I have been going outside to shovel the sidewalk, take out garbage and recyclables, and to get the mail, sometimes in below zero temperatures.  It just might take me longer to bundle up for the cold than it does to get these chores done.   What is interesting to me though, is that when I re-enter the house after being outside, the house feels very warm.  The outside temperatures cooled me down even more, so that when I come back into the house (where the temperature did not change), it was warm.  Nothing changed except for me, internally.

These harsher elements made a constant (the inside temperature) seem different ... actually better.  Life is like that... Sometimes we deal with something harsh or difficult, which causes an internal change, a perspective shift, making things better.  Perhaps such an internal change is what is needed, in order to appreciate what I do have.  

My husband's journey with cancer is changing all of us... internally and perspectively.   It is reminding us that God is good, life is precious, and that there is much to be thankful for and to appreciate.

So, when I bundle up and shuffle around in my layers, I can appreciate the warmth and protection of the house.  It is always there, providing me with protection from the harsher elements.

God is also constant in our lives.  God is there to protect, guide, heal, and carry us through harsher elements.   With God, it IS better.

Reflection Verses:


In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name.  Psalm 33:21 NIV


Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.  Psalm 62:8 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment