Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Shed His Blood

Shed His Blood

Disclaimer-If you don't want to read about blood transfusions, skip the middle and go to the last paragraph!

~ ~ ~

One of my husband's first red blood cell calculations put him at less than half of the normal range, which is an indicator of anemia.  One doctor was surprised that he was so well compensated, despite the anemia.  Wayne received his first blood transfusion back then, and has received even more since.

Transfusions are an interesting, slightly nauseating thing for me to watch.  I do find it an intriguing process.  They match your blood for that day down to the minuscule parts.  So, for example, you are not just A+, there are an additional set of matches to the blood.  Your blood slightly changes after about 2-3 days, so they have to match you to the best donor through a blood sample each time, before giving a transfusion.

The blood is given via an IV, or mediport, and you can see it drip down from the bag into the tubing.  I am told that it feels a little cold upon entry, because it has been refrigerated.  The whole process for 1 unit of blood takes about 1 1/2 hours.

I can literally see the change in my husband's complexion as the transfusion is complete.  He is more alert, has more energy, has less pain, and seems to sleep better at night.

Have you ever thought about donating blood?  Maybe your veins are thin, you don't like needles, or you are simply afraid of it.  I know I have thought all of these.  However, this is a simple, life supporting procedure that people NEED.  If you are healthy, able, and willing, I encourage you to call your local hospital(s) to see if you can donate...

~ ~ ~

Jesus gave His blood for us, a life-giving gift.  One that we also need.  His blood changes us, it gives eternal life.  He is the BEST donor; the ultimate match.  

Reflection Verses:

While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.” Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.” (Matthew 26:26-29 NIV)

Jesus called out with a loud voice, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.” When he had said this, he breathed his last. (Luke 23:46 NIV)






No comments:

Post a Comment