Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Complaining

Complaining

Are you a complainer?  I certainly do it myself at times, but lately I find myself trying not to complain, trying to focus on positives and blessings.

Perhaps, ironically, here I am complaining about complaining.

Sure, I could complain about a lot right now.  I could make a very long list, but I am not going to.  I am not going to give those complaints any value by naming them.  Complaining would put my mind in the wrong state.  It would affect my husband and my child too.  I am choosing not to grumble.   

I am not talking about grief, reaching out for help, distress, or injustice.  I am talking about the complaints that I hear about feeling old (and you are only in your 30s), if someone gave you a funny look, if someone did not say or do what you wanted, if you are bored, or if you do not like your job/spouse/the weather.  Perhaps it is a complaint that is just a misguided put down, or a spilled cup of coffee, and you comment on how these things have ruined your whole day.  

I think it is a privilege that you can complain about those things, which are perhaps really gifts.  When I hear these type of complaints, I want say, ... "Well, my husband has cancer".  

And, oohhh... that is not nice of me.  

That is when a little anger, self-centeredness, or jealously pours out of me.  I don't actually say it, but sometimes I think it.  Please forgive me.  I want to sympathize with your frustrations, but it is hard for me right now.  I am sure it is hard for you to sympathize with my situation too.  

Please know that when you share with me that I do pray for you.  For those of you that know me, please do not turn away or keep things from me.  I do not want you to feel like your words are a burden to me.  I do not want to be alone or separated from people.  I need you too.  I really do want to know what you are struggling with or frustrated about.  Thank you for loving me back.

I am just thankful that I have another DAY; a day of life; a day with my husband and child; a day to love.  And, I know you know that too.  No, I am not perfect, but this current season of life reminds me that every person is special, every day is special, and that maintaining a positive attitude is crucial.  It is not all about me, and I do not know what others are really going through when I interact with them, so that is where my proper attitude and love need to shine through. 

It must be noisy to God hearing all of our complaints.   Complaints about the things in our lives that have been given to us as gifts, blessings, and growth opportunities.  That is really what all of this is, opportunity for me to grow in my love of Christ, to be God-centered, to share Him with others, and to spread light instead of complaint.  My choice, when I feel a complaint coming on, is that I will try to swallow it and extend grace, servitude, and love instead.  Thank you for your patience with and prayers for me.

Reflection Verses:

 Do everything without grumbling or arguing,... Philippians 2:14 NIV
   
I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.  Ezekiel 36:26 NIV

May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had, so that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.  Romans 15:5-6 NIV

My mouth will speak words of wisdom; the meditation of my heart will give you understanding.  Psalm 49:3 NIV

1 comment:

  1. Thanks again for an insightful post! Watching over our tongues seems such a tiresome task :) Thank the Lord He can give us new hearts <3

    ReplyDelete